Saturday, January 26, 2019

Letter in Response to Kay D. Perry of MI-CURE (a prisoner advocacy group)

Thank you for responding to my initial letter regarding the results of my public hearing.

By the way, I never argued that intelligent, professional women "always" report abuse. I argued that this woman - Lillie Blue - a woman of courage whom I knew well, would never have tolerated a physically abusive relationship. When I am accused of something I did not do, there is no other way to prove a negative, all that is left for me to rely upon is her reputation, and mine.  

Prior to my crime, I had never hit a woman, and there is no evidence in my 44 years of living free - no police documents, nor domestic violence or assault complaints - to dispute that. What other argument is there for me, except that Lillie would never have allowed what her family accused her of allowing? They lied on her and on me. Then, the parole board used that lie to justify its decision. 

I would have imagined that MI-CURE might have been more critical of a parole board that relies upon unsubstantiated claims to keep 66-year-old prisoners imprisoned, rather than relying upon quantifiable facts, like:  "Zero" disciplinary points (2018); HIGH probability of parole (according to their own Parole Guidelines Scoresheet (2018); no previous criminal history; Master's degree from WMU (2000); certified braillist by the Library of Congress to transcribe textbooks (2001-2013); two published novels - The Pooka and the Paranormal (2005), and The King of Pearl (2008); excellent block reports, and work reports; etc., etc.  

No comments: