Thursday, August 17, 2023

A Bit of the Spirit of John Henry

The Hollywood writers are on strike. Besides wanting more money, their chief complaint seems to be Artificial Intelligence is stealing their thunder. 

Stop whining. A. I. is here to stay. Either become more creative to start writing better scripts, or find different jobs, the kind that are not so directly challenged by A. I. 

What are Hollywood writers doing to distinguish themselves, anyway? I hear another "Mission Impossible" movie is out - one expected to be a blockbuster. Why? "Mission Impossible", like most sequalized movies are made for A. I. intervention. Like all done movies, once done, "Mission Impossible" is pure content.   A. I. feeds off of content. Feed it a movie, and watch it spit out sequels like ninety-going-north. That is all Hollywood asks nowadays. Most of the movie-going public is non-discerning, anyway. Say, "John Wick" or "Indiana Jones," and they automatically think they are in for a treat, (even though Hollywood and its writers had barely broken a sweat.) 

A. I. is not the problem. what is needed in Hollywood is writers with the balls to stand in the breach, a la John Henry, and take on the false god... a writer comme moi. 

If A. I. can write a better movie, then any writer sitting on his pen should get out of the way. Personally, I do not believe A. I. can write a poem better than I can. And, like John Henry, I would put my soul on the live to prove it. 

Any of you picket-sign-carrying softies ready to put your soul into your work? Do it, and I doubt A. I. anywhere can touch you.  

No comments: